- The concentration of the coolant with water must not be reduced in summer in or warm countries.
- The coolant additive proportion must be at least 40%.
- Only the Volkswagen coolant additive, G 12 A8D, may be used (available from Volkswagen Dealers).
Checking coolant level
- The expansion tank is in the engine compartment on the bulkhead.
- The coolant level can only be checked properly when the engine is not running.
- The level must be between the "MIN" and "MAX" markings on the expansion tank, when the engine is cold. The running of the engine may cause the coolant level to rise slightly.
- On vehicles with an automatic coolant level checking device, the warning lamp flashes continuously if the level is too low. A warning lamp will only flash if the vehicle ignition is on.
- Coolant loss normally indicates leaks in the system, and should be checked by an approved Volkswagen Dealer.
- In a sealed system losses generally only occur if the boiling point of the coolant is exceeded as a result of overheating.
Topping up the coolant
- Switch the engine off and let it cool down.
- Cover the expansion cap with a cloth, turn it carefully to the left, and remove.
- Do not remove the expansion cap when the engine is hot. If a large amount of coolant has been lost, only add cold coolant after the engine has cooled down.
- Do not fill above the "MAX" marking.
- Screw the cap on again, and tighten.