'2017 Golden Steering Wheel' award for the new Arteon
- Awards committee chooses Arteon as best new model of its class
- Awards ceremony took place this evening in Berlin
The new Arteon has won one of the most renowned European automobile awards: the '2017 Golden Steering Wheel'. The Volkswagen gran turismo secured the award in the 'Midsize and premium class' category. Dr Frank Welsch, Member of the Board of Management of the Volkswagen Passenger Car Brand responsible for Development, accepted the award on Tuesday evening at the Axel-Springer publishing house in Berlin. "We are pleased with how well the new Arteon has been received by readers of AUTO BILD and 'Bild am Sonntag'. You can see in this sporty four-door car just how much passion went into its development. I view the '2017 Golden Steering Wheel' award as recognition for the efforts of the entire Volkswagen team."
There were 42 new models in the running for the '2017 Golden Steering Wheel' awards. The readers of AUTO BILD, its more than 20 European partner magazines and 'Bild am Sonntag' voted for the best vehicles in advance. The 20 cars from five rating classes with the most votes were then tested by 52 jurors on the Balocco test track in Italy. The awards committee included race car drivers Walter Röhrl, Hans-Joachim Stuck, Mick Schumacher, Matthias Ekström, Sebastian Ogier and Timo Scheider. The vehicles were also evaluated by German celebrity car enthusiasts who included Barbara Schöneberger, Kai Pflaume and Richy Müller as well as editors in chief, connectivity experts, designers, engineers, frequent drivers and, for the first time, members of environmental organisations.
The Arteon topped the field in the 'Midsize and premium class' category. The awards committee noted that the gran turismo is a true all-rounder with refined chassis tuning, a good engine and wonderful steering. The Arteon is being offered at prices starting at 34,775 euros (Germany). Engine output options for the Volkswagen - which is available with front- or all-wheel drive - range from 110 kW / 150 PS¹ to 206 kW / 280 PS)³).
1) Arteon: 2.0 TDI SCR (110 kW/150 PS) fuel consumption in l/100 km: 5.3 (urban), 3.9 (extra-urban), 4.4 (combined). CO2 emissions in g/km: 114. Efficiency class: A+.
2) Arteon 2.0 TSI 4MOTION DSG (206 kW/280 PS) fuel consumption in l/100 km: 9.2 (urban), 6.1 (extra-urban), 7.3 (combined). CO2 emissions in g/km: 164 (combined). Efficiency class: C.
3) Arteon 2.0 TDI 4MOTION DSG (176 kW/240 PS) fuel consumption in l/100 km: 7.1 (urban), 5.1 (extra-urban), 5.9 (combined). CO2 emissions in g/km: 152 (combined). Efficiency class: B